The Middle Ages
Many important changes occurred in society during the Middle Ages.
· New forms of political, social, cultural, and economic organization emerged.
· The monarchies that developed laid the foundations for the nation-states of the modern period. People also first began to consider Europe as a distinct cultural unit.
· The Roman Catholic Church became a significant part of medieval life.
· Later in this period, the population began to grow greatly, agriculture and trade flourished, and cities expanded.
· Medieval Europe gave the world the first universities, and medieval architects produced magnificent Gothic cathedrals.